Princes cause of death revealed, died of accidental overdose of opioid fentanyl
3 June 2016 Entertainment News
Fourth Estate Staff
Minneapolis, MN, United States (4E) – More than a month after music legend Prince’s death, the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office has revealed his official cause of death and it is from accidental overdose of opioid fentanyl .
The toxicology tests for Prince concluded the cause of death and it was announced via a press release from the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office. As per the release, the office said that they completed their death investigation of Prince Rogers Nelson, the singer’s full name, on June 2, 2016.
The report from the office added that the drug was self-administered but did not say how the drug was taken. It was also not revealed if the fentanyl was prescribed or illegally made.
It also said in the release that they cannot release further details about the death of the singer and that the Carver County Sheriff’s Office will be continuing their investigation.
Prince died last April 21 and was found unconscious in the elevator of his home. Initially, the U.S. Attorney’s office and Drug Enforcement Administration were not part of the investigation but joined the efforts early May. They said in a statement back then, "The DEA and U.S. Attorney's Office are able to augment this local investigation with federal resources and expertise about prescription drug diversion. While this remains an ongoing investigation, we will have no further comment."
The two departments joined the investigation shortly after a report claimed that the “Purple Rain” singer was to meet up with a California doctor specializing in addiction. He was said to be suffering from an addiction to pain killers due to a previous surgery.
Prince was said to meet with Dr. Howard Kornfeld , a national authority on opioid addiction treatment. An attorney for Kornfeld , William Mauzy , said in a statement that the meeting between his client and Prince was set to take place as the singer was dealing with a “grave medical emergency.”
However, Kornfeld was not able to meet the star so he sent his son to the place of Prince at Paisley Park. The son of Kornfeld was not able to see Prince in the area. The son of Kornfeld , together with two representatives of Prince, found him unresponsive.
A day after Prince was found dead, authorities ruled out foul play and suicide as the singer’s cause of death.
Fentanyl is one of the number one causes of the rise of overdose deaths in the United States.